Friday, April 25, 2008

ROP

I feel like every time I am "not worried" about something or I think we're "in the clear" something always throws me off track. There is a chance Coy's ROP is returning. We saw Dr. Hittner yesterday and she informed me (after examining him awhile, I instantly knew something was up) that his "plus disease" has returned. This, according to Dr. Hittner, is usually the first thing to return if the ROP is going to come back. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I just assumed that everything was okay.

Dr. Hittner, of course, is a world renowned pediatric ophthalmologist, and she has recently finished a clinical trial on a new medication to treat ROP. This medication is injected into the eyes and per her words is a "miracle drug." So, the good news, if the ROP does return, surgery will hopefully be avoided using this new "miracle drug." She is still working on approval from the FDA, so they are not able to us it in the hospital yet, however, she can use it in an outpatient setting with our consent. This was a relief for me to hear---if not, we would have to mess with putting him back in the hospital for surgery, which would include reintubation. We will see her again in two weeks. Dr. Hittner must have read my face, because she was very comforting and reassuring. She's known to be "like a general" however, she was optimistic that this new drug will work if needed.

So, please pray for total healing of Coy's eyes. Pray for perfect vision and sight! Thanks to you all for your continued thoughts and prayers!

(oh yeah, he is now 7 lb 3 oz! We have a home scale and I weighed him yesterday!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie and Chris, both of you and Coy continue to be in my prayers. I can't even begin to imagine the ups and downs and highs and lows that you have endured and are still enduring since Coy was born. I pray that God will give you peace and strength to deal with this new set back. I really feel like it's a temporary set back and that God has led Dr. Hittner to you and you to her. I feel like God is using Coy and Dr. Hittner to prove that this new treatment for ROP will help sway the FDA to approve it so that more premies will be helped in the future. I'm confident that your faith and all of our prayers will help Coy get through this hurdle as he has before.

By the way, I met your nephew Ryder on Wednesday. He and Mandy (on her birthday) came with Jenny when I cleaned Jenny's teeth. He's so precious---smiled all the time. I can't wait for the day you bring Coy to our office with you so I can meet him too. :)

Take care. Love and prayers, Vicki Willis

Esperanza said...

We keep Baby Coy in our daily prayers... We keep praying girl... hang in there... he is getting so big so fast... I hope everything works out well... We sent our love
Esperanza Orlando & Liam Penaloza

Anonymous said...

Continuing to send prayers for healing. God is good, and everything will work itself out. I am confident in that.

Hugs,

Jen

Anonymous said...

I pray for Coy all the time. The first few years are really so hard...you are doing a great job-keep your eyes towards Heaven! Its such a faith journey and no two preemies handle their early start the same. Congrats on his weight! When they start out so small - its such a huge deal when they hit those pound markers! Celebrating the good news and praying for God's goodness with the not as good news.

Christy...mom to a miracle too

abby said...

We're keeping our fingers crossed and praying here that Coy's plus disease goes away. And it sounds like you are in a good place and working with a good doctor if it does not. But we still hope very much that it does!

Hang in there on this swing of the roller coaster.

Amanda Rooney said...

Ann Marie,

Just remember that God is in control. He was in control when Coy was born. He was in control during Coy's stay in the NICU. He was in control the day you brought him home. He was in contol when you had to get his reflux under control. He was in control when your neighbors were broken into. And He is in control now. Keep the faith, dear one.

By the way, how is baby McKenzie?

Praying for you and Coy...

Coolestmommy said...

Praying for all parts of Coy's body to be perfect and without disease or illness. You are never far from our thoughts and prayers.

Steph V said...

Goodness...I will continue to pray for his sweet eyes and for his sweet parent's strength. I am back on my knees begging for total and complete healing of every inch of that precious baby!

Melissa M. Williams said...

I will send up extra prayers for Coy tonight! Coy continues to be in my thoughts every day. Not to mention both of you were in my dreams this week too! He was perfectly fine! God is all powerful and all faithful! I will be praying for your family's peace and your endurance!

Love you!
Mel

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

We will pray for Coy's eyes. Dr. Hitner has prayed with us many times before Kirby's surgeries and she has allowed us to pray for her and her hands and mind. She is a wonderful doctor (as you already know). I know that whatever happens God's goodness and mercy will be reflected in Coy.
Brandie