Monday, February 11, 2008

one day at a time...

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23

Since Coy was born, for the past 10 weeks, I have tried to take each day at a time. I remind myself daily to not put the "cart before the horse"; to enjoy this time with Coy; to cherish it. Yesterday, I felt like I was sinking deep, drowning in deep water and unable to come to the surface. I've had days like this before, but yesterday was worse; I was completely overwhelmed with emotion; anxiety, fear, worry....believe it or not, in the past 70 days, I have only cried 4 times at Coy's bedside....yesterday was one of those days. The bigger he gets (3 lb 1 oz!) and more he acts like a "newborn", the more I long to hold him and rock him to sleep, to feed him by a bottle, to smother him with kisses, to be his comfort when he's distressed...I am ready to bring him home. Most of the time, I have complete and total trust in the Lord; I know that neither Chris & I, nor Coy, could have made it this far without our Savior; but then there are times, when I am still so confused by everything, questioning, wanting answers, wanting to know what the future will bring...

The reason for my "overwhelming anxiety & worry" yesterday was due to an abnormal heart rhythm that was detected...we've been told before Coy has a condition called WPW, however he's never had any arrhythmias or abnormal tracings on his monitor that any of the nurses have noticed...yesterday he began having PACs and PVCs very frequently...he had and EKG & another Echo (the 4th one..) today....based on the results the Pedi Cardiologist suggested he start on Propranolol, a beta blocker that will help control these "extra" heartbeats...he will also wear another 24 Hour Holter monitor tomorrow...I was told by the Neonatologist that Coy's heart abnormalities would have been present even if he was a full term baby...so please pray for Coy's heart to function normally, without disease or disfunction...

So, after 10 hours of waiting on "the general" Dr. Hittner, we did not hear from her today. I asked several of the nurses, several times to page her for us to see when she would be by...they all kind of looked at me like "Are you crazy?" I guess they call her "the general" for a reason---she's a no nonsense kinda woman if you know what I mean...very good at what she does though....hopefully we'll hear from her tomorrow (2/12)...please continue to pray for healing of Coy's eyes; pray that it's God will to keep Coy free of surgery & for his eyes to heal & grow healthy...

Like I mentioned earlier, Coy now weighs 3 lbs 1 oz! He is "eating" 25cc every 3 hours and continues to tolerate it all! And, finally, he is wearing clothes everyday!!! I love dressing him up! He is still in an isolette which does have warmth inside it, however, the temperature inside the bed is no longer set to vary based on Coy's temperature; he must maintain his own temp!....here is a picture of him in a preemie outfit from today!!


He is still on a CPAP of 7 and was on 26% oxygen all day!! Pretty amazing for us to witness...I am so proud of him for breathing so well...!!

Please continue to pray for healing of Coy...specifically we are believing God will heal his eyes and heart! Please also pray for God to take all the worry, anxiety, and fear from me, that I will walk by faith, not by sight always! We are so grateful for all of you who are following Coy's story and praying for him & us!

Below is a pic of our new nephew and niece, Thomas and Macey, who we were able to meet for the first time this weekend! They are now 1 month old and so adorable!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Coy is such a handsome little man. I can't believe he is 3 pounds. He is so very cute.

Ann Glowacki said...

Ann Marie and Chris,

Coy is just so adorable in his little outfit!!! Before you know it those preemie outfits will be tight on him! What a sweetheart. :) We wish you the very best tomorrow, I hope all goes well, we will be praying for you and little Coy!

Take care and sleep well,

Ann, Shawn, and Jaxson

ps- Jaxson now looks at Coy's picture on the computer, it is so cute! I've told him all about his preemie buddy. :)

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie, You just take one day at a time - if you need to cry, then cry! Ask questions. Page doctors! Coy is so very lucky to have YOU as his Mama to advocate, cry, pray, and love on him everyday! (Same with his Daddy!) I don't have a baby in the NICU, but there are many days when I feel like I'm falling into a black hole too! We are human! Your little dude is ADORABLE! God has a purpose for Coy and he will take care of him to that end. Many prayers...

Jenny said...

All the babies in your family are cute! But Coy in that little blue bundle is enough to bring a smile to anyone's face.

We are praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

Dear Annemarie & Chris,
I came upon your blog over a week ago, and have since checked it every morning to see how you all are doing. I pray that God will grant you the desires of your heart; that Coy will grow and be strong and that you will bring him home. Your little boy is absolutely precious and beautiful and he has wonderful God-serving parents. Your testimony is amazing. I will continue to pray for you everyday. May God bless you all and give you strength, encouragement and a total unwaivering trust in Him.
A sister in Christ,
Brenda

Lynne Piper said...

Hi Ann Marie and Chris:

I prayed for Coy throughout the day yesterday and will again today. Thank you both so much for sharing the ups and downs openly. I do remember how differently Marshall and I dealt with things when sickness came to our son. I would anguish up front, imagine all the possibilities and then start the recovery process. Then, about the time I was recovering, my husband would be hit by reality...and round and round we'd go.

Praying for a fabulous day for Coy today and a good word from The General. I'm also praying for Coy's heart. I pray that you, as parents, are able to rest in the Lord's loving arms today.

Lynne Piper

Amanda said...

I cannot believe he is 10 weeks old. I pray that the next 7 or so weeks - however much longer he has to be in the hospital - will pass quickly for you guys. Coy is so precious in his little clothes. I can't imagine how badly you just want to take him home and do all the normal things.

Anonymous said...

Chris and Ann Marie...
I have said it many times, but Coy is so beautiful and he looks so handsome in his clothes! I know he has blessed your family beyond belief, but I think Coy is blessed too! He has so much love and support and prayer surrounding him. His life has touched so many people. I will continue to pray every day for him to be free of infection, disease and discomfort, and for him to grow big and strong, and for strength and peace for his awesome mommy and daddy.

Ashley (Hayes) Farrell

Beth said...

What a darling little bundle - and all those babies, wow! I can close my eyes and imagine in a few short years how they will all be running circles around each other. I pray for Coy's eyes and heart - for total healing. I pray for peace in Ann Marie and Chris' hearts. I pray His Might guide the doctors hands. God Bless!

Esperanza said...

Ann Marie...please girl...hung in there... we all are counting on you... you must be strong girl... Please, keep holding God's hands...Just close your eyes...and imagine all the angels in heaven holding coy's hands, talking to you, giving baby Coy and you big hugs...and lots of blessings and their bright and healing light... I am imagining Raphael Archangel doing that right now girl... try it ... there is so much to be happy... you have your precious baby there with you... Just get in that circle of love and light... and feel the love that surrounds you...see the love that is around your precious peanut... All is brightly green around Coy... All is healing and love...You know that We pray por your precious family every day...
Esperanza Orlando & Liam Penaloza

24weekmom said...

I am a friend of Lisa and Dan Gesin. I am the mom of a CMHH NICU graduate. My son was born at 24
+1 day weeks @ 777grams, he underwent PDA ligation, ROP Zone 2/Phase 2 regressed spontaneously, Grade III bilateral IVH, a VP Shunt was placed,G-Tube and spent 10 weeks on the vent. We consider everyone at Hermann family, they are awesome. I hope you've gotten to know Beth and Ivy. Everyone there really cares about those little ones! Hunt is 6 now and has beaten all the odds! I wanted to tell you all of this to give you faith to get through the hard days. It will all turn out okay, it's not the fairytale you dreamed of, but there will be small miracles every day! So stay strong! You may email me at mharrell@swtexas.net if you want to talk about anything or have any questions. Ivy Wilson also has my home phone number. Melissa

Emily Franks said...

Ann Marie and Chris,
As a mom, your words touch my heart- we moms, just get it! You deserve to complain and question and what better place to do it so that those who love you can fill you up with encouragement during your low times. But you know you are in good hands with our Father God. Everything you have shared has been so truthful but yet such a beautiful witness to your persistent pursuit of trusting Him. You know God loves Coy 1000 times more than you do - so that's some big love! I am lifting up your little one and both of you each day - I pray soon he will be able to meet his cousins first hand! Emily Franks