Sunday, February 10, 2008

Let me first talk about the positives from today. I just got off the phone with Coy's night nurse and he is officially 3 pounds now! We know he is still really small, but something about 3 pounds sounds good. His feeds were increased to 25cc's every 3 hours and so far he has tolerated all of them. His CPAP was also weaned from a setting of 8 down to 7. The number represents the amount of pressure that he is getting. This pressure keeps air in his lungs when he exhales so they do not collapse all the way. This is good because this will need to be weaned down to a setting of 4 before he can be switched to nasal canula (O2 tube under his nose) so it is nice to start the process.
Now the few areas of concern. Coy's EKG rhythm was somewhat irregular today. We are not sure what this means but he will get a holter monitor tomorrow to check out what is going on. Ann Marie began holding Coy this afternoon shortly after we got to the hospital. For some reason Coy really didn't want to be held today. He kept desating so his nurse decided that he needed to be put back in his isolette. Ann Marie was bummed because she had only been holding him for about 10 minutes. Shortly after he was back in his isolette is when the irregular EKG rhythm started. It was very strange to watch his heartbeat fluctuate so much. It was almost as if the monitor wasn't reading correctly. Either way its better to get things checked out and cardiology will look at him tomorrow.
Coy will also have his eyes re-examined tomorrow. Please join us in praying that his eye disease will be cured and that surgery will not be needed. We were told he has a 50/50 chance of needing laser surgery. We need new healthy cells to grow in his eyes.
Please pray for Ann Marie tonight as well. Today's events shook her up a bit. We cope with our situation differently. I'm able to look at the day as a whole and be happy because the positives outweighed the negative today. Her method of coping focuses more on the potential problems. Basically its just the core differnce btwn guys and girls. It can be difficult sometimes and frustrating when we are dealing with same situation but are in "our seperate places" mentally and emotionally.
Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support. We need ya'll there when we go through our moments of weakness. Thanks for filling the gap. We hope to repay the favor oneday.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers of healing for Coy! Also praises for his gaining weight, CPAP progress, etc. Don't forget ya'll are on the same team, but I DO understand the differences between men and women - my husband reminds me!! :-) Hugs.

Reyne said...

Our prayers are with you all tonight as always. Even though you may look at each situation differently (and that will never change!) you are both united in love and prayer for the same end result - a healthy little boy. Moms and dads rarely, if ever, view situations the same way. I believe that's why God put us together - to balance eachothers strengths and weaknesses! Stay strong for eachother and for Coy. We are praying for good results from the holter monitor tomorrow and for healing in Coy's eyes. Good bless you and keep you forever faithful.
Love,
Reyne

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for Coy all weekend! Be thankful to Jesus that you have each other. Be supportive for the other. This is a long stressful road and you need each other. I pray that He gives you peace and tomorrow is a victorious day!!!
God bless

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

Beth said...

Lots of prayers this morning! Prayers for Ann Marie for strength in times of darkness - I pray today brings joy to her heart and a smile to her face. Prayers in abundance for precious Coy - that his holter registers a strong, steady rhythm, that he tolerates the holter as much as he can and praying that his eyes are disease free and no surgery will be necessary. Keeping ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers today - God Bless!

Juliette said...

I'm praying for your little guy. He is so precious. I'm glad that things are going well for the most part, and I'll be praying for the areas that are still of concern. You guys are doing a wonderful job with him. Your faith and strength are inspiring.

Jenny said...

I'm praying for his eyes to have brand new healthy cells! I'm also praying for Anna Marie!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Ann Marie's time as a nurse in the NICU doesn't help her keep a positive outlook. She knows what lies ahead, but I pray that she can learn to rejoice in the present. Coy is such a miracle and a blessing. I keep you all in my prayers. I keep hearing the song Better Days by the Robbie Seay band on KSBJ and it always reminds me of Coy. With God's grace, there will be better days ahead for all of you.

Megan said...

Wow, 3 pounds! That is so wonderful and I am so glad he body his tolerating the feedings so well. There is so much to praise God for, he has really gotten Coy along way from where he first started. Praise the Lord. "I am the Lord, the God of every person on the earth, Nothing is impossible for me." Jeremiah 32:27

Our prayers will not stop, we will continue to keep Coy and you all in our prayers daily.

God Bless.
Megan

Muggle Mom said...

hang in there! God's hand is in this every moment. Let Him lift your burdens & bring you peace!

Prayers will continue for you all!

Nicole

~j~ said...

I have been visiting your blog and being part of your prayer team here in California. This post compelled me to write and to let you know that your strength and faith is not going unnoticed both on this blog and in that hosptial.
I love that in Job the Lord reminds him (job) of HIS power and this verse in particular another reminder of the God we serve..
"Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds it's garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its' doors and bars in place, when I said "This far you may come and no farther;here is where your proud waves halt?"...
God sets the boundaries for the oceans of this earth, this is the God we serve, mighty, powerful, never changing,faithful, and He loves your son in the same way.Raising two children of my own, I often read this to remind me that He loves my children more than even I do...
So honored to pray for you all.
peace to your hearts,
julia

Esperanza said...

Chris... thanks goodness for the differences right... Ann Marie really needs you... keep thinking only in the positive stuff...which are awesome... leave the rest to God... I do not know what else to tell but just to count on our prayers... daily .... I'll check tomorrow how everything turn out with Coys eyes... Chris... your family really needs you... Just hang in there... hang in there...help is always comming....
Esperanza Orlando & Liam Penaloza

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Coy in Nashville!!Praise God he is now 3 pounds.I pray for Y"all everyday God bless you both stay strong.

Melissa M. Williams said...

You all continue to be in my prayers every day and night. It is so great to hear that Coy is now 3 pounds! I pray that he will be on the other side of that 50/50 and God will help Coy beat the need to have eye surgery. Take care you two! Coy is so lucky to have you!
Keep strong and faithful!
Melissa Williams

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to hear that Coy is over 3 lbs, that is indeed a milestone. Our thoughts are with you and hope that both the eye and heart problems are just a small bubble in the whole picture. Ann Marie things may seem dark sometimes but everything turns a circle and I know that circle is now turning to the bright side. I'm sure all will turn out fine.