Saturday, January 26, 2008

We're CPAPin'



"the Lord God formed the man from dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." Genesis 2:7

We are so happy to report that Coy was extubated tonight around 730pm and put on CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure)! His ET tube was taken out and the CPAP prongs were placed into his nose. He will no longer have the ventilator breathing for him; he must take all of his own breaths...which makes me extremely nervous! The CPAP prongs are in his nose and give him continuous pressure with oxygen, this keeps this air sacs open making it easier for him to breathe...So, sometimes babies must go back to the ventilator if they tire out on CPAP; they say this is normal so don't be disappointed if it happens...I am praying for my little mighty man to keep breathing! We just got off the phone with his night nurse and she said so far he's doing good...his CO2 in his blood gas was elevated, but something they expect...pray in the morning for a more stabilized blood gas; pray for Coy to stay strong on the CPAP!!

He was so mad when they took the tape off his face to remove the ET tube...he had tears in his eyes! Although we didn't hear anything tonight, we will soon be able to hear him cry! They say it takes alittle while for sounds to come out...

I am so hopeful but trying to stay grounded at the same time....I know Coy is doing the best he can right now; I don't want to push him too hard; I want the best for him...

So, we've had a big day; Coy has made a huge step forward! I am so proud of him! He is still receiving 18cc of fortified breast milk every 3 hours & tolerating it all....he even woke up 30minutes early today and started smacking his lips together...he's a growing boy, weighing in at 2 lb 10 oz....he continues to urinate just fine, he will remain on chronic diuretics...

Please continue to pray for complete & total healing of Coy; pray for his lungs to function just as they should; pray his oxygen requirement is lowered as he becomes stronger & stronger!; pray for him to stay on CPAP and not have to go back to ventilator; pray he continues to eat and urinate just as he should!


Oh yeah, today daddy got to hold little man "like a real baby." They really enjoyed each other's company...they are so much a like; before I knew it, they were both fast asleep....





Thanks for all your prayers; we are so overwhelmingly appreciative!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann Marie, If i could do backflips, i would. my husband just came and told me you had a new post.. and i was elated to have read it.
he made this today for coy, he is pretty excited about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZGUjK9dR80

my daughter is officially well, and i am thinking i am past the incubation period. call me. i would love to get some pictures of coy now, especially with him off the ventilator.
-tasha

Muggle Mom said...

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!! that is so great guys!!!!!!!!!

coy just amazes me!

Lynne Piper said...

Hi Ann Marie and Chris:

That is so great to hear. The pictures of Coy and Chris are heartwarming. We will pray for these things you've asked. This is such a big step, even if you have to balance between the ventilator and CPAP until he gets his footing.

Thanks for the updates!

Lynne Piper

Renee Miller said...

THIS IS AWESOME. PRAISE GOD!

Ann Glowacki said...

Wonderful news, Ann Marie! Coy is such a precious little punkin... and getting big! I am so happy to hear he's on the CPAP, I hope it goes very well. I can't wait for you to be able hear that little cry... not as a bad thing, but as progress! Lots and Lots of hugs for you and sweet little Coy!

Ann

Reyne said...

Congratulations! That is such awesome news and the pictures of Chris and Coy are precious. He's a real natural at this daddy thing! We will continue to pray for CPAP to go well and for Coy to grow stronger every day!
Love and Prayers,
Ruchti Family

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! This is wonderful news. Praises, praises, praises. God is amazing. I'm so happy for you. I'm praying for your little man. He is so precious. I love all the pictures. The one's of you holding Coy and of Chris holding him are just heart-warming. Congratulations!

Love,
Julie Stanfill

Anonymous said...

Chris you look like a natural buddy!!! Such great news. What fantastic pictures and wow what a touching video. Welove you all and God Bless
Tom

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie... I am so happy for you. Jason and I have been praying for Coy everyday. God is almighty and he is showing you his love.
Shari

Esperanza said...

Do not be nervous...hang in there girl... we are all praying... just hang in there... prayers are with you guys...such great news... we are so happy praying for Coy...
Yeahh...he is such a strong and big boy...
Big huges....
Esperanza Orlando & Liam P.

Anonymous said...

To God be the GLORY, GREAT things he has done!!!!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!! Thanks to God for Coy's progress. We continue to pray for all of you and for Coy's continued growth and healing!!!

Melanie Prevost and family....

Melissa M. Williams said...

This is so wonderful! Coy looks great!
Thank you God!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was sooo excited when I read the good news!!! Such a miracle! Coy is amazing...just like his parents! And Ann Marie you are not just biased...he really is absolutely adorable!
We will continue to pray and read posts daily.
Our love and thoughts are with you,

Ashley (Hayes), Ryan and Charlie Farrell

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog daily and praying for your precious boy. The picture today brought tears to my eyes. God is truly working miracles each and every day.

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Coy keeps on amazing me, what a little fighter. Thank God for all these wonderful positive steps Coy has taken. We will pray for all your requests and more for Coy and you all. I love his big eyes, how precious.
God Bless,
Megan

cadence mom said...

My name is Melissa and I live in Las Vegas. My mom works with Coy's daddy. She recently emailed me this site. I have been praying that God blesses Coy and his family. I can only imagine how stressful this has to be. So I pray that God gives you strength to deal with it all. I pray for all that you ask us to. I am going to put Coy on the prayer list at my church. God Bless
Melissa