Sunday, January 27, 2008

Gritbaby

"The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him." Exodus 15:2

Gritbaby had an awesome day on CPAP! I was very nervous this morning; actually I woke up several times last night wondering how he was doing...I know that alot of babies go back to the ventilator after a few days on CPAP, but I'm really praying that Coy is strong enough to stay extubated...please pray with me that God will give Coy the strength to stay extubated and on CPAP then eventually transition to nasal cannula...

Coy did have two "bradys" last night, aka Bradycardia, or slow heart rate...this happens when babies "forget to breathe" (apnea) so their heartrate drops suddenly...the nurse said it was shortly after he was placed on CPAP and he was probably alittle stressed out...he also self recovered from these two episodes, meaning his heartrate came back up on it's own after he took a breath...Coy hasn't had any further brady episodes thus far; please pray that Coy doesn't have anymore apnea or bradycardia episodes!

I spoke too soon the other day when I said I could cross Pedi Cardiology off the "follow up" list...his Echo looks good, which is amazing to me...but they think he has a condition called WPW or Wolff-Parkinson White, which was diagnosed on the EKG...this means he has an extra conduction pathway in his heart...sometimes people have this and never know it, it can be asymptomatic; sometimes it causes tachycardia, which can be treated with medications...the Cardiologist wasn't too concerned about it at this point...so please pray that this condition won't cause any harm to our little Gritbaby!

All in all, Coy had an incredible day on the CPAP! His oxygen requirement was 45-50% which is good for the first day being extubated! His blood gas this morning did improve, so he will not have anymore gases unless they feel he needs one...no more chest xrays either! So please continue to pray for Coy's lungs to function just as they should, that the chronic diuretics continue to help him rid the extra fluid from his body, that fluid will not build up on his lung tissue...

Thanks for all the encouragement and prayers! We have an awesome God and are so thankful for that!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for such good news! He is such a cutie! I loved the picture of him and his (awake) Mama and the one of him and his (sleeping) Daddy! He is just precious!

Muggle Mom said...

awesome news! he is such a little miracle! God is amazing!

marissa said...

I'm so excited for you guys and Coy that he is doing so well and constantly growing and "improving." We were eating dinner with our neighbors tonight and he told me that his brother's wife had twins born at 21 weeks that both weighed under 1lb at birth. They are both now 9 years old and healthy as can be. I thought this might be encouraging and something to think about when you're having a not so good day. Remember that Coy will be that 9 year old someone is telling someone else in your shoes about one day. We are praying continously...

Life in the Kerlee Household said...

That is so great he's on CPAP now. That is a huge step and you are exactly right that they "sometimes" have to go back on the vent "to take a break." My son did that as well and I wasn't prepared for it so it's really good that you have a heads up already. We'll continue to pray for Coy that he will stay off the vent and work his way down to room air on CPAP and then nasal cannula. One step at a time, right? God has been good thus far!

My son loved his CPAP and he was on it for 3 almost 4 weeks but most babies do graduate to the nasal cannula sooner. I'm so impressed with Coy's progress.

If you ever have any questions or just want someone to chat with, please feel free to contact me (email: tracey_kerlee@hotmail.com). I check on Coy EVERYDAY and pray everyday for his strength, growth and development. Take care

Always Tracey

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

Reyne said...

"Gritbaby" - I love it! He is just like his daddy! What a fighter! So glad that things are going so well. We'll keep praying for all your requests - keep the updates and pictures coming.
Love,
Reyne

Jenny said...

I'm so glad he is doing so well! I loved seeing the picture of the two of you. My youngest fell in the swimming pool when she was barely 3, and it was touch and go for a little bit. Now she is 9 and she loves to tell people about the miracle God did for her, and He will for them too. Coy will have an even more unique story, as he will be able to share how God used the internet to reach believers all over the place to pray for him. Thank you for sharing with us and giving us an oppurtunity to pray with you!

Beth said...

I wasn't able to check in this weekend and WOW did I come back to news! Praise God that Coy is on CPAP now! What wonderful pictures - I love the guys snuggled down napping and what a beautiful picture of a very proud mommy!! Thank you so much for sharing. Continued prayers!!

The Langland's said...

My heart is so full of joy for you!!! Praise God for all his blessings and miracles he has shown us through Coy!
We will continue to pray that he does well on CPAP and that he continues to grow, grow, grow!!! He is such an adorable little guy!

household6 said...

Hi there. I was sent to your blog by the Borba's and I can't stop checking in to see how Coy is doing! I hope you don't mind but I passed it along to some friends to add to the prayer chain. He is a beautiful, beautiful boy!

Esperanza said...

We are all praying girl for your little peanut... We are all praying...
Esperanza Orlando & Liam

Kathy M said...

I was just directed to your blog and wanted to let you know that my family will be praying for Coy. Your strength is amazing and is evident that it comes straight from our Father. Dad is pretty amazing isn't he? Blessings to you and your family!

David Pistorius said...

He's a beautiful little boy. All our thoughts and prayers will be with you and especially Coy, that the Lord's will be accomplished. You guys are truly and amazing family!

David Pistorius said...

He's a beautiful little boy. All our thoughts and prayers will be with you and especially Coy, that the Lord's will be accomplished. You guys are truly and amazing family!