Monday, January 28, 2008

Still CPAPin'...

"Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness." Psalm 150:2

Well....48 hrs later, Coy is still going strong on his CPAP! The little guy is getting pretty ticked off at the prongs in his nose though. His poor nurses are having to readjust his "CPAP head gear" thing all the time because he is always knocking it off with his hands! He is really strong for a 2 pounder...his strength amazes me! Please continue to pray that Coy will stay strong on CPAP and stay OFF the ventilator...(the picture below is Coy in CPAP...I know, it looks funny...that is his OG (feeding) tube in his mouth)


So, like the ventilator his CPAP setting will eventually be weaned down. He is now at a CPAP of 8, once it gets to 4, he will be transitioned to a nasal cannula or just regular oxygen. The goal is to obviously get to room air but many babies do go home on oxygen. I always tease Chris saying I can see Coy learning to walk and pulling his oxygen tank behind him...of course I hope he's not on oxygen too long, but that thought makes me laugh...

Cardiology wanted Coy to wear a 24 Hour Holter monitor today; just to check for any tachycardia...yeah, that really mad him mad when they hooked up an HUGE holter monitor to him; he is like one big lead with tape covering his entire torso...

I would have to say the best part of the day was hearing Coy's voice! Chris and I both were so excited to hear his little squawks...his voice will get louder and stronger as the days go by...We were so excited tonight at the hospital; Coy is starting to look so precious; we are mesmerized by his developing personality...he is such a fighter; he is always swinging his arms, kicking his legs, trying to turn his head...one of the nurses last night told me I would need to strap Coy onto his changing table once he comes home; that he is too "wild" to change his diaper without buckling him in...oh geezz...that will be fun!

I have been able to report AWESOME news the past few days; I praise the LORD for this; it is through him that all things are possible! Coy still has a long ways to go...we are trying to enjoy the "highs" as they come and brace for the "lows" the best we can...please continue to pray for Coy's complete and total healing! Pray for Coy to stay infection free (still on antibiotics...), pray for continued strength of his lungs, pray for him to continue to urinate & digest food; pray for his oxygen requirement to lower each day (40-60% today), pray for all the babies in the NICU tonight...we are so grateful!

11 comments:

Sylvia and Daniel said...

Hi Guys, you don't know me but through Courtney Garrison's blog I "found" y'all. Funny how God orchestrates our lives and winds them together. I spent way too much time today, haha, at work reading through all your posts and being so amazed at your strength and faithfulness, even in such trying and seemingly powerless and weak times, although that's okay because He isn't powerless or weak. I know we don't ask for these things and don't wish them on anyone, but know you are touching SO many peoples lives and people WILL see the Lord's faithfulness and in some way, even without knowing you, but through the body of Christ and prayer be a part of this amazing story and testimony Coy will have...thanks for being able to share it...In his Healing and Powerful name, Sylvia

Rachel said...

My husband, a Rice grad., learned of your story via the message boards and passed it along to me. This week happens to be the birthday of my brother; a 2-pound preemie who is now an ordained minister... and father of an active toddler. You have been given such a precious gift in the insights which you have gained these past two months, from your own life and from lives all around you. Your continued testimony of Faith in God is reaching an ever expanding circle of people.

May God surround you with His PEACE and Everlasting LOVE. May He continue to Strengthen each of you (Chris, Ann Marie, and Coy) emotionally, physically, and spiritually as you grow closer Him as well as to each other (as a family). God's richest blessings be with you. Amen.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me either but I wake up every morning to read about and pray for Coy. What a precous boy...your updates are lovely. I am traveling a different journey...we are adopting and have faced many dissapointments as of late. Your faith in Him strengthens me when I am weary and I cannot thank you enough. We are believing for a baby at the end of February...it has been a very long month! God bless you and that sweet baby...he is quite a looker!

Beth said...

How wonderful that even though we may not "know" each other - we are all children of God whose prayers for Coy are joined as we lift them heavenward!
Fabulous news that Coy was able to "share his thoughts" with you a little! I pray his lungs grow stronger, his cry gets louder and may he sing praises to the Lord always! God Bless!!

Unknown said...

I pray for you all everyday!

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie, I met you at one of Jenny's wedding showers and thought you were absoultely precious and now you are the most amazing mother. I have a 5 month old boy and we read your blog first thing every morning. I think his first word might be Coy as we pray for Coy morning, noon, and night. Thank you for sharing your story with us daily. You are truly an inspiration as a wife, mother, and as a christian. Coy makes this world a better place!
Many many many prayers and blessings to the Kolkhorst Family, Lauren, Kam, and Jackson Praytor

Jeri said...

Oh my gosh, his little mouth, it's so good to see it! I'm Lisa Tarver's friend, Jeri that she taught with in Seguin. I've become one of Coy's legions of fans and check daily for instruction for specific prayers from you. Oh and anonymous, now you have to keep us updated on your adoption progress. I've adopted twice,once domestically through an open adoption and internationally from Ukraine. jerigrothues@yahoo.com

Esperanza said...

He is unbelievable big ...
such a beautiful baby... we are very happy that Coy is doing so well... You are getting so wise... everything that you write is so inspirational... Keep it up girl ... you deserve to change Coy's diapers really soon... I can not believe that you are excited and looking forward to that... nooo kidding... We continue praying for Coy everyday... Everyday girl...

Esperanza Orlando & Liam...

Coolestmommy said...

OK---must point out that the nurses have a point about the changing table when you get home. I'll tell you what we did with all 3 of our kiddos--no changing table. My theory is I've never seen a child fall off the floor. :-) You might consider this---especially with a 'wild' one. LOL!

Muggle Mom said...

coy is so amazing!!! i can just picture him squirming around. :) prayers will continue for you all! :)

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Ree and Chris, you both are an inspiration to us all. I just recently found out about this sight, and I think your story is amazing. What a beautiful boy Coy is growing up to be! I think of you and your family everyday, and pray for health and happiness.

love you.

~Angie Bohac