Tuesday, January 15, 2008

better day...

Our little man had an overall good day! He is looking more and more like a "normal" baby the bigger he gets! He's already 6 weeks old and now weighs 2 lbs, almost 1000 grams! I love walking in to see him and he's waiting for me with his eyes open...

Coy's "attending" doctor has changed again--at Memorial Hermann, the babies are assigned to teams of docs--the attending in charge of each team rotates about every two weeks--in a way this is good because there is a new set of eyes on Coy, a new doctor that has a new perspective; the downside is the doc has to get to know him, his likes and dislikes, what's normal for him vs. abnormal...so we met with his new attending today---in regards to the infection, he says it will most likely "colonize" in Coy's lungs, and we will hope & pray it doesn't present in the bloodstream; he will stay on antibiotics for a total of 42 days! which means they will put in a new PICC line (our 3rd one!) If this bacteria does get into his blood, he is at a high risk for meningitis, among other very scary things...doc said key is to get Coy "big" so he can fight off these bugs with his own immunity...well yeah, duh...
and yes, I did inform him of my theory of how this "hospital dwelling" bacteria presented in Coy's lungs two days after intubation--he said "I don't want to speculate...there's no way to know..." yeah yeah yeah

So good news today was Coy is now on a rate of 30 bpm on his vent! Pretty awesome improvement from two days ago; his oxygen requirement was between 35-50% today...such a relief to see that we're no longer "maxed out" on the vent ....

Coy was restarted on feeds today, just 4 cc though; they will increase it daily...so far, he was tolerating all of them...

Please continue to pray for Coy to fight this infection, for it to not spread into his blood, for the doctors and nurses to use EXTRA caution when handling him, for him to tolerate all his feedings, for his urine output to remain "normal", for the baby next to Coy who is having a hard time...

"Powerful Lord, help me not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time I will reap a harvest if I do not give up." Galatians 6:9

6 comments:

Coolestmommy said...

Father God,
Thank you for precious Coy. Thank you for his family who knows You and loves You. Thank you for pouring out your healing power onto Coy. Rid his body of infection and continue to help him grow. Thank you Lord that by the stripes Jesus took on his back, Coy is healed. We ask for Coy's divine health and healing and his long life on earth.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Anonymous said...

What great news!! I'm so glad he is doing well. I know what you ar going through and you must be truly exhausted at this stage but you seem to have such strength which will pull you through this hard times.

gramscook said...

you both hang in there and lean on us. God listens to our request. Coy is our special little man and I must say one cutie . Love Grams.

Anonymous said...

I have grown to love Coy... your site is inspiration to us all. We pray each day for all of you.

Amanda said...

I just want you to know that I don't think an hour goes by that I don't think of y'all. I pray that the new attending will be filled with wisdom and insight for Coy. I pray God will give you and Chris supernatural strength, joy, and patience today.

Julie said...

Praise Jesus! I will keep Coy and his family in my prayers. I too had a daughter who caught Serratia in the hospital. Hers was also in the NICU but after heart surgery. I know the heartache of seeing your baby in the NICU - mine has been there 4 times. You just wish you could trade places with them. I pray that you and your husband get to take Coy home with you soon. You are probably more than ready for some alone time! As one of my favorite songs says: "sometimes he calms the storm, other times he calms his child". Sometimes Jesus will calm your surroundings, other times he will bring you calm. Love, Julie