Monday, January 14, 2008

day of life--42

"I call to you, God, and you save me. Even if I cry out in distress evening, morning, and noon, you will never fail to hear my voice." Psalm 55: 16-17

We are really in need of your prayers today....
The doctors think they have identified the cause of the infection...they say it's a bug called serratia, a gram negative organism growing in Coy's lungs...this bacteria is only found in hospitals...so unfortunately there is no way to go back in time and track where it came from, but it is unfortunate that Coy has it (I personally feel there is some correlation between the bacteria that presented in his lungs two days after he was re-intubated; and my google search confirms my thoughts; the doctors however wont say this...)...according to the Infection Disease doctors (yes, they're back) it can be very bad if found in the blood stream...so far all blood cultures have been negative...please continue to pray that the antibiotics treat & destroy this bacteria in Coy, pray that Coy stays infection free for the remainder of his stay in the NICU...

When I saw Coy today, I fell in love again! I walked in and lifted the blanket covering his isolette and he was waiting there for me, his eyes both wide open...his beautiful blue eyes, he was just looking and blinking and looking and blinking...so precious...
He was active again, which is such a good thing to see!

Coy had two really good blood gases this morning, so they were able to wean down on the ventilator some...please pray this continues! We need to get off the ventilator ASAP to prevent future lung damage...even Dr. Doomsday (that's not his real name, I just call him that) says the sooner we can get off the vent, the better chance that we wont have "severe lung damage which leads to severe brain damage..." He then always goes on to tell us how high the "morbidity and mortality" rate is among babies who have repeat infections....thanks, just what a crying mother wants to hear...

We did have a "greys anatomy" moment today...the Infectious Disease resident had to present Coy's case to his attending and 2 other residents...when the resident came to examine Coy and look through his chart he said "Wow, I've never examined a baby in an incubator before..." RED FLAG...the words "I have never..." are not good for a doctor to say to a patient or family member...after the Attending doctor asked this resident what he found on exam (of Coy) the resident responded, "I found a very small baby." And he was serious...we all started laughing...poor resident, he might need to repeat a few classes...he then went on to ask me if Coy was the name of the isolette or the name of the baby....hmmm....

Please continue to pray against this infection! Pray that the antibiotics contain this bug and it does not spread to the bloodstream! Pray for Coy's respiratory function to improve! Pray for him to tolerate all his feeds when started again!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an employee at Cy-Falls and I continue to pray for you and your family. My family experienced the TCH and NICU with my 10 year old son. I look forward to your daily blog and pray that God keeps you and your family strong. We know that God only gives us what he knows we can handle. I will continue to pray for Coy daily. Take care and keep strong.

Anonymous said...

The story about the resident made me laugh. We are continuing to pray for your tough little guy. We really have grown to love your little family. Hang in there!

Allison, Chase and Chris

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you and just hope that Coy's infection is contained by the antibiotic. It is such a difficult time for you all.

Anonymous said...

Little baby Coy is just precious. Being a mother who has walked in your shoes as my son had a long stay in the NICU and on a ventilator I can understand your worries. I laughed about the Doctor Doomsday..we also had one of those. Hang in there, your son is in many prayers for a fast and stong recovery. God Bless you and your family.

chelsburleson said...

Lord, keep Chris and Ann Marie and their son Coy faithful to you and your promises. Lord, we know you're the Healer...we trust you to take care of Coy and his infection, and his life. Oh Lord, hear our prayers, we're begging. Praises to you for giving Coy the strength to be such a tough little fighter. It's all for your reputation that we pray, Amen.

suzanne said...

Jeez, that must be a first year resident who hasn't mastered bedside manner & has a short circuit removing the links between his tongue and brain! What did the attending's face look like?

At least you all had a tension-releasing moment!

Hugs and prayers

Muggle Mom said...

the story of the resident is too funny!

coy is just such a little light! :) i love to hear his updates. he and you & chris continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

nicole

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

I was directed to your son, Coy's blog from your photographer's blog. I just wanted to let you know that others are praying. I said a prayer for him today while sitting at my desk. I pray that he will be infection free and thrive beyond "Dr. Doomsday's" biggest expectations. I pray that Coy will be an example of God's grace and healing. "Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, "Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. Mark 11:22-24

I'll continue to pray. Keep Faith and hope alive. Lean on God for all understanding.

Carrie

Esperanza said...

We keep praying Ann Marie... for Coy to get stronger and better lung function... for you and Chris so God can help you get stronger and stronger by the day...
So funny the Greys annatomy moment...
Orlando, Esperanza and Liam

Monica Colson said...

May Jesus continue to join you in your lives, may he continue to seek you out when you’re lost, and raise you to new life. In Jesus’ name.
Monica

Anonymous said...

We pray for Coy and your entire family daily.