Friday, December 21, 2007

one hard day



"Then call upon me in time of distress; I will rescue you, and you shall glorify me." Psalms 50:15

I know I've already used this verse, but it seems to fit perfectly tonight. Our little man had a rough one today; actually he's had a rough couple days/nights. It seems that an infection has set in and causing him some respiratory issues. So far, he's had two blood cultures come back positive--forcing them to pull out his PICC line (central IV line) because the doctors believe this was the source of the infection; he's on a high power antibiotic, Vancomycin, which causes him to have low urine output. He will be started on Dopamine again---which means they will have to hold his feedings. So, please pray for his urine output to increase so he can get off the dopamine and restart on feeds!!

When I got to the hospital today, the nurse looked at me with that certain look that I could tell something wasn't quite right; it seems his blood gases were not good last night--his blood was acidic, meaning he was not exhaling the CO2 and unable to get enough O2 into his tissues; they figure this was due to the pulmonary edema or fluid buildup in his lungs---lastn night and today he was requiring 80-100% oxygen through the ventilator--in previous days he was only requiring about 35-45% oxygen, so this is a huge jump in the wrong direction! The edema was treated with a diuretic called Lasix yesterday, which worked, however when given today, his urine output did not increase. So now, although he is swollen everywhere the doctors believe he is actually "dehydrated" and the fluid is "stuck" in his tissues, not his bloodstream. They also believe the sepsis (infection) is causing the poor pulmonary status...so the key here is to get rid of the infection!!!! We need prayers to rid Coy of this infection!! Please beg God for this!!

I also walked in to see the nurses attempting to start an IV on Coy--since the PICC line had to come out, peripheral IVs will have to be restarted daily; I know this is required, it just pains me to see him stuck so many times....

good news occurred later this afternoon...his blood gases improved! God did hear our prayers! His levels seemed to get much better---they changed his ventilator settings (I wont get into that because it can be very complicated) and he seemed to tolerate it so far...please pray for Coy to continue to have good blood gases....

Some specific prayer requests for Coy: that his antibiotics cure this infection and that he stays infection free the remainder of his stay in the NICU; that his PDA is closed; the the edema is removed from his lungs/ body; that his urine output increases; that his oxygen requirement decreases; that his blood gases remain good; that he is pain free and comfortable; please beg God for these things!!! Coy needs your prayers!!

I feel like our faith is being tested/strengthened; we know God is there and hearing our prayers, we believe it; we are just desperate for our son; God please rescue him from illness...please...

9 comments:

Lynne Piper said...

Hi Ann Marie and Chris:

We will pray for that darling little boy. I know how trying this is on both of you and your families. The love you have for precious Coy is so deep and profound, I know there are no words to describe.

Our Father in Heaven is hearing all of our prayers. I'm quite sure He is grateful that you are showing one of His little ones what His love is all about.

Stay strong, I'm praying for restful sleep for all of you, and of course praying for all of your requests.

Blessings,

Lynne Piper (your Mom and Dad's bible study)

Shan said...

I went up to the NICU when I was at work last night, and of course, thought of you all. There are SO many lonely little babies in there.=( Coy's sooo blessed to have parents like you all and to be surrounded with love like that. Don't forget to take care of yourslef too!...lots of rest, lots of nourishment and fluids!...Coy's going to need that good milk of yours soon!
I am amazed that you all have the strength to continue to update the website every single day. I'm so glad though! I want you to know I read it without fail everyday, first thing! I'm constantly thinking about you all and praying for your whole family, and all the specifics you list (I love that)!

XOXO,
Shannon

Puddin said...

We continue to pray for COY and for YOU...we are so sorry Coy is having difficulties, but God's love will shine through the darkness. We love you and God loves you. Aunt Mary

marissa said...

As always we are praying for Coy and the both of you. I hope you can continue to find the strength you both need to get through the rough days like this. Like you said, you have to take the good with the bad and we know there are more good days to come. Thank you for taking time to post an update everyday. I don't know where you find the time or energy, but it is greatly appreciated. It's the first thing I do when I wake up. God is working miracles in Coy.... believe that!

Kasey said...

Anne Marie and Chris,

We don't know each other but our daughter Jessie is in the NICU as well. My aunt is Linda Heightkamp and she has updated me on precious Coy. You have been in our paryers. I too kept praying for God to breath the breath of life into Jessie. It comforted me so much. Coy is such a beautiful boy. I see that you have an amazing support system but if there is ever anything I can do please let me know. If there is organized help or meals or anything I would be honored to help.

Kasey Hackenberg
kaseydeeh75@att.net

Anonymous said...

Chris and Ann Marie,

I posted a little about Coy on my blog and wanted to pass on a comment from my brother-in-law, Ben:

I just thought I would mention that my little brother Bryan was born at 23 weeks, and he just turned 19 last week. I am sure that with prayers and faith, Coy will turn out just fine. Just think, Bryan was born 19 years ago technology and inovation are leaps and bounds futher today what they were back then.

I will continue to pray for your son and your family. May God bless and keep you.

Allison

amy said...

I am lifting you and baby Coy up in prayer. God hears our prayers-- praise God for the prayers already answered and for using this tough situation for his glory! What an amazing testament of faith and the power of prayer you two have shown so many people. It's hard to understand why God allows things like this to happen, but just look at all you have influenced with your strength and confidence in the Lord. That's awesome! Praying for you all the time!
Amy (Bromley) Owen

Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
Psalm 63:3

Brittny said...

Chris and Ree,
As always, we are continuing to pray for you guys and Coy. I am amazed at the strength of the two of you as well as the strength of Coy. Please know that your family is always in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for yall. We love you guys!!!

Brittny and Will

Ann Glowacki said...

Ann Marie and Chris,

The pictures of Coy are absolutely precious, he is a gift from God and you are truly blessed! Shawn, Jaxson and I are praying for you and baby Coy! We pray that the infection heals and Coy is able to take mom's milk again soon. Also, we pray his edema goes away and his lungs heal and get stronger... I can't tell you how many times a day I think of you and hope and pray that all is getting better for the 3 of you. We are sending you lots of hugs and prayers...

Ann, Shawn, and Jaxson (he doesn't know it yet, but he prays with mom!)