Sunday, December 16, 2007

another wonderful day

"Fear not, I am with you; be not dismayed; I am your God. I will strengthen you, and help you, and uphold you with my right hand of justice." Isaiah 41:10

Today Coy is 13 days old! I can hardly believe my baby is almost 2 weeks old! Although it has been a very trying and exhausting two weeks, they have been wonderful! I still have to pinch myself sometimes and think how lucky I am! I am a mom & have a beautiful baby boy! Some of you might think I'm crazy---of course these aren't the circumstances I would have chosen for the birth of our child--but that's just it--I didn't chose them because I'm not in control--God is. At first, we were angry, mad, confused....we were on track to have a healthy, bouncing baby in March---what happened?? I can't even speak about how badly I wanted to rewind time---If I could just go back and change time...how we felt like we were in a bad dream and couldn't wake up. But then we realized, this was God's plan---we don't quite understand it, but we have to trust in him, that he will take care of our baby; that this is the way it was meant to be. Coy is such a wonderful gift from God, regardless of the circumstances in which he came into this world.

So today the doctors stopped Coy's antibiotics because his blood and urine cultures did not grow anything! Thanks be to God! Please continue to pray he stays infection free; the doctors say it's almost guaranteed that he will get one infection during his stay in the NICU; please God prove them wrong again!

His urine output did improve today; one of the antibiotics they stopped (Vancomycin) can cause decreased urine output---so hopefully this medication was our culprit and his output will improve to exactly where it should be! Please ask God for this tonight!

Coy will have a repeat brain scan tomorrow to check for brain bleeding again---it's a routine test, we got awesome results at 10days, please pray again to keep Coy free of any bleeding in his brain!

So daddy got to do Kangaroo care today and held baby Coy for 3 hours! Chris's chest hair was tickling Coy's face; the nurses were laughing so hard at this. It was amazing to see Chris hold our son; he's been such a wonderful father and I know how proud he is of Coy. The nurses and me included all agree that Coy is a "spitting image" of Chris--one of them said it didn't look like I had anything to do with it--thanks!!!

Since Memorial Hermann is a research hospital affiliated with UT medical school, we have had numerous offers to enroll Coy in studies different doctors are doing---yes, kinda scary when you hear "study" but we believe research is a good thing. If no one accepted research or participated in studies, babies like Coy would not be living today---so we agreed to participate in a blind study where he will receive 14 doses of Hydrocortisone, a steroid that is to help lung and brain function. Since it is a blind study, there is a 50/50 chance Coy will receive the drug; he may receive the placebo. The doctors are very optimistic about this medication; the benefits greatly outweigh the risks; there is a chance if he does receive the hydrocortisone, they will be able to wean him off the ventilator very soon---this would be amazing! Please pray that God will protect our baby, that they will find this drug very beneficial and help babies like Coy in the future.

I know I say this after every post, however, I can't state enough how thankful we are to all of you! Chris and I feel so incredibly blessed to have such wonderful friends, family, and support from some of you who we've never met! Please praise God for all he's done and keep praying for Coy!

11 comments:

kelly said...

i am sitting here with andrew reading the blog and trying to explain it all. lots to explain, but no explanation about how we need to pray for coy each night. i know you've got a lot on your plate, but the lord won't ever give you more than you can handle. much love and prayers. see you soon. kelly and andrew

Steph V said...

YEA!! I have been away from my computer for 2 days so it was so great to get on and read such wonderful posts. I am so happy that baby Coy is remaining infection free!! I can only imagine how scary it all is. MacKenzie is 1-1/2 months old now and has her first illness. I am counting the hours until I can take her in tomorrow and praying it won't turn into RSV. SO...sorry to tell you this, but the worrying about the sicknesses NEVER stops regardless of age!!

Anyways...we will keep the prayers coming and pray that the uring keeps increasing and that the brain scan is another big sigh of relief!!!

Love,
The Vandagriffs

ErinSinisi said...

We are so glad to hear that things are going well with Coy!!! We look everyday to make sure things are going well and we are just so excited with all of the good news! Coy is just so precious and it's just amazing seeing you guys holding him! I can only imagine what an incredible feeling that must be! You guys are such amazing people, just continue to hang in there and be strong! We will keep you guys in our prayers.

love-
Vincent and Erin

markthur said...

Ann Marie and Chris

Sounds like the big fella is making great headway. We know that you all have been on a roller coaster ride, but do not despair because your miracle son is destined to be something special. We continue to pray to the Lord Jesus for Coy and you all.

Mark and Debbie Thurmond

aleah said...

I was very happy to meet Coy's grandma at the Ruchti wedding reception this weekend and continue to read, pray, and tell my friends to pray for you all! It's great to hear all the good news :] That means all of our love is breaking its way into heaven. Hoping for days even better than the last,

Aleah McGehee <3

Coolestmommy said...

I'm so happy that Coy is doing well. Just proved to me that he IS the healed one in the name of Jesus! Please kiss him from me.

I have fallen so in love with Coy that I even blogged about him on mine today. I'm hoping it will also increase the prayer base.

Much love, Robyn in Nebraska

Lynne Piper said...

Hi Ann Marie and Chris:

I am just rejoicing with you and praising our Lord for bringing us this far with Coy. I believe that you all getting to hold him is such a huge step because he can literally feel how loved and cared for he is. Did I mention that he is just as cute as a button?

Okay, how about if we pray together right now? Dear Lord: We thank you so very much for bringing Coy into the world to be a blessing to his parents and to bring Glory to Your Name. We have so many cares and concerns, we don't know where to begin. Father, we implore You to make each day better than the day before. Help his little body begin to have adequate urine output, please keep him completely free from all infection or brain bleeds. Dear God, we pray that the hydrocortisone is the right touch to get him weaned from the ventilator. Please allow his lungs to remain perfectly unharmed through this entire process. Let us not forget the things You have miraculously done this far...allowing him life at birth, allowing him 24 hours, 48 hours and now 13 days; an unexpectedly closed PDA, no infection and no bleeding. We know these are gifts from You and we humbly ask, implore, beg that this pattern of healing will boldly continue and his parents are allowed to take home a healthy miracle of a son.

Thank you, Lord, for hearing our prayer. We cannot live without You. Nothing happens without Your knowledge. You are the Giver of all good gifts.

In Jesus Name We Pray... Amen!


Ann Marie and Chris... you keep the faith, you're an inspiration.

Lynne Piper

Tiny Survivors said...

Hey Chris and Ann Marie, I just wanted to let yall know that you and Coy are in my thoughts and prayers every day... My son Carder spent his first 8 days in the NICU, so I've had a small taste of what you are going thru with Coy. I am sending you both big HUGS!
I have shared your blog with many friends of mine, all over the United States. Please know that Coy is being prayed for from California to Florida!
Thank you for taking time out of your days to share with all of us how yall are doing. Keep your head up... Love, Amy (Orr) Pham and family

Cheryl St.John said...

My friend Robyn passed your blog along, and I am blessed to stand with you in prayer for your baby boy. Be encouraged that we know preemie babies who are healthy thriving adults and who never experienced all the problems that the doctors predicted. My grandson is one and my friend Dee's daughter is another. If God did it for them, He will do it for Coy.

Your mother's prayers are most effective, and my family is in agreement with you that Coy is healed and whole in the mighty name of Jesus!

I praise You, Lord, for Coy is fearfully and wonderfully made! I thank You, Jesus, for Your healing power that resides in his perfect body. I thank You, Lord that Coy feels loved and welcomed into this world, and I praise You for the call on his life, which must be great in order for the enemy to have tried this puny tactic.

No weapon formed against Coy or his family can prosper in Jesus name, and they have not been given a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power and of love and of a sound mind. Thank You, Lord, for sending Your angels to surround Coy and minister to him at every moment of the day and night.

Thank You, Lord that Coy's parents are strong in the Lord and in the power of His might and speak of Your goodness to everyone they meet. Lord, Your mercy and Your goodness shall follow Coy all the many many many days of his long long life!

Melissa M. Williams said...

Wow! It is so amazing to read our answered prayers! "In the day when you cried out, God answered you, and made you bold with strength in your soul." (Psalm 138:3) Each and everyone of us know in our hearts that God is using Coy for great things out of our control. Family and friends that I have asked to pray for your baby continually ask or check in to see how he is doing. Coy is on the minds of so many. God is literally transferring this positive energy into your hearts and directly into Coy's body. We are all so lucky to be witnesses to this process. Personally, I have been brought even closer to God during this journey and I thank you for that. Keep faith Ann Marie and Chris and know that what ever is supposed to happen is happening. I will continue to pray against infection and weakness. Have a wonderful day with your boy and God Bless your family!
Melissa Williams

Unknown said...

Terrific news! It is so great to hear all of the progress Baby Boy Coy is making on his journey to make it home with his mother and father. My cousin was recently in the exact situation with her 2-year old twins (who are doing great!) so my family has an idea of what you all are going through. It is a period where each day represents new milestones tracking progress and it sounds like you all are well on your way! We will continue to keep praying for your family and look forward to hearing about the next milestone! Hope to see you all soon - Steve Koldyke and with much love, Sarah