Friday, July 24, 2009

fatigued but thankful

First, here are some pictures of our princess...

(This was the first time I really saw her open her eyes...)

I think she looks like Coy...

Sleeping sweetly....
These are the best I can do for now (from my iphone)...since my computer here is cheap and I don't have the photo program I need to get the pictures off my camera.

Second, Cydney is doing great and we're making progress to get home everyday. The only thing keeping us here as of now is feeding. She needs to either be breastfeeding or bottle feeding 8 times per day. Right now, we can try either/or 3 times daily. Yesterday, she nursed like a champ (at one feeding) and didn't need any more milk put down her tube (the ugly thing that is sticking out of her mouth/nose).

Today, however, she was not at all interested in the boob. They say that's typical preemie behavior---to be inconsistent. She took 1/2 of the bottle twice today--which isn't great, but it's better than nothing. I was wanting to exclusively nurse her, but if bottle feeding gets us out the door faster, I will work on the nursing at home! She has one more try tonight and I think I'll offer the bottle first to see how she does. Hopefully, she'll finish it! The good news is she's getting breast milk either way.

She was taken off her pulse oximeter today---awesome! I tend to have 'monitor psychosis' where I find myself staring at her numbers all day (and night). She was perfect with her oxygen sats and I loved seeing that (she stopped having those desat spells she was having the first few days). But, it's even better to know her doctor thinks she doesn't even need to be monitored anymore! Whoohoo--that's one less thing for me to analyze and obsess over.

Also, her glucose levels were stable two nights ago, so we were able to discontinue the IV and fluids. I was so happy about that. Her bilirubin levels have been stable as well.

Needless to say with a newborn, I am growing weary and tired. I don't think I've had over 2 hours consistent sleep in the past week. I love that I can stay here with her, but it's not the most comfortable place to sleep. It also doesn't help my energy level that I was laying down for 4 months straight. But, I am adjusting and waiting patiently on the Lord's timing for Cydney to come home. I am missing Coy so much and can't wait to be back at home with him too. I was able to see him today and we laughed and laughed. He is so much fun and I can't wait to see how great of a big brother he is going to be.

Please pray for Cydney to eat like a champ, for no bradycardic episodes, for her glucose levels to remain stable, for our strength and endurance during this last leg of our 'hospital life', for Cydney to grow and get strong, and for Coy to be well adjusted when everything turns back to normal for us.

We are so blessed to have your continued love and support.

9 comments:

MtnGirl said...

Cydney is an absolute doll! I pray that you will get to take her home soon. I'm sure Coy will be a GREAT big brother!

Juliette said...

She's beautiful! I'll be praying.

Vickirdh said...

Hi, Ann Marie, so glad things are moving along towards you and Cydney going home. She is so precious. I had seen the pix Mandy posted on facebook and I thought then that she looked a lot like Chris and Coy. You are still in my prayers. Love, Vicki

Amanda said...

She is just beautiful! Praying she will be a great nurser for you.

GammySel said...

She is so sweet and so alert!

Get some rest mom
Angie

Life in the Kerlee Household said...

Wow, I can't believe how much she looks like Coy! I am so glad to see and hear that Cydney is doing so great. She'll be home before you know it. My beat is she'll be home by the end of the month! She is just precious. Take care

Tracey

Shane & Ambra said...

We are praying for a speedy NICU stay. She will get better the more she practices at sucking. Get some rest & give Cydney a hug from us.

Unknown said...

She looks great!!!!

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful! I am glad things are going well. Continuing to pray for your family.