Thursday, August 7, 2008

eyes/sleep study

I'm happy to report that Coy's eyes were examined by Dr. Hittner and she said they look "great." That's always a relief for me to hear! She wants to follow him monthly until he's a year old and then check on him every couple months after that. She also told me he is not nearsighted and his eyes look "normal." Whoo hoo! We are so grateful for her and so thankful God placed her in Houston. She really is the best of the best.

We had Coy's sleep study one week ago tonight. Let me say, it was a miserable experience for the both of us. I was not expecting it to be fun, but it was way worse than I prepared for. Coy was hooked up with all kinds of wires and it was not fun for him or I. He cried for 4 hours straight (seriously, no exaggeration there) and it took everything I had to not just take him and head home. He finally settled down and fell asleep around 1130 and I dozed off too. It was kinda creepy because they put you in a room and video tape it while they monitor you in another room. Once Coy was asleep, he rested until about 5 am. We were gone at about 630 and I was so thankful it was over. We don't have any results yet, but I'm not expecting them for about another week or so.

(This was only some of the stuff that was hooked to him during the sleep study).

On the feeding front, the cereal is not going to well. I am giving it a break. He doesn't seem interested, so I'm hoping he's just a bit young still. He's just now 4 months adjusted age. In a few weeks, I'm gonna give it a go again and if that still doesn't work, I'll definitely be calling for a Speech Therapy/ OT eval. Please pray that he does not/ has not developed any oral aversions!

Here are some recent pics...
Coy is supporting himself much better these days...


Grabbing his feet (well, I actually put his foot in his hand, but he likes to hang on)...

Sweet Dixie loves to sleep by her brother...
Coy has also recently found his voice! He loves to "talk" these days. I love to hear him squeal, giggle, and chat up a storm.
Please continue to keep Baby Rhys in your thoughts and prayers. His mommy & daddy are feeling a bit defeated (understandably so). Pray for complete healing of Rhys and strength for Candice and Cody.
Thanks so much for all your continued love and encouragement.


11 comments:

suzanne said...

I just love you... You're little Coy is Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So precious. Celebrating your victories with you. God ia good and how can we thank you for sharing your life with our Codice. The coincidental meeting in the hospital was no coincidence at all, was it. Blessings to you,
Suzanne

Jason and Shari said...

Hey, I am so happy to see the steps that Coy is making. I just love reading your blog. Thanks for the comment on my Blog. It is good to hear from people.

The Mitchells said...

I have been following your blog since the beginning of your journey and am just amazed at all that Coy has accomplished. He is amazing!! You guys are amazing parents too!! My husband knows Chris and the entire Kolkhorst family. Your due date and mine were a couple of weeks apart, so I felt very attached to your story. Anyway - the point of all of this was, don't be discouraged by the non interest in the cereal. It has taken a while to get all three of my boys interested it. My almost 5 month old just started taking to it, after two weeks of trying. I just mixed it every night and if he wasn't interested, quit and tried again the next night. After a couple of weeks, he took it, and now does pretty well with it. My middle boy was the same way, but I think he was over 5 mos before he would really eat more than he spit out! Good luck and thank you so much for sharing your story!! You guys are so inspirational!!
Joy Mitchell

marissa said...

So glad to hear Coy's eye are great!! That's wonderful news. =) Don't stress too much about the cereal. Hank never liked it, but then again he hated all baby food and my youngest (now one), Jace, loved all baby food, BUT cereal. They only time he would eat it was when it was mixed with applesauce or the cereal with bananas and even that, he would eat very little of. Otherwsie there wasn't any baby food he DIDN'T like. Actually, there isn't much food these days he doesn't like or want. ha. He might just be a little too young for it now. Give it time. Every baby is different (really!) and they will guide you.... so follow his lead. =) We are praying for you and the family daily and may God keep blessing you all!!

August said...

Coy with his feet proves that he got your flexibility! ha! I am glad his sleep test went well! Go Coy!! :o)

Creative Escape said...

Okay, gotta love that onesie!!

Hugs,

Jen

Coolestmommy said...

Praise God for his healed eyes! Believing for excellent reports on the sleep study.

Unknown said...

awesome news about his eyes.
God is good!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. It's so inspirational. FWIW, my 26 weeker did not do well on rice cereal. She has reflux too and rice cereal seemed to increase her symptoms. We just do oatmeal mixed with a little apple juice and she likes it. She was about 5 months adjusted before I got serious about offering it. My older FT daughter was 6 months before she liked cereals, fruit, etc. So, I guess all I'm saying is you're right to pull back a bit - there's no rush... Keep up the good work!

tell it to your neighbor! said...

Hi Ree!

So glad to hear coy's eyes are doing so great! He's just amazing! The sleep study sounds like and looks like it was brutal, I'm sorry y'all had to go through that. Those darn tests! Hey, it took lilly a long time to eat cereal and then one day it just clicked. Also we didn't even get to start until after her surgery, she was about 5 1/2 months.
Love you!
Erica

Erin said...

Ryland still hates the cereal too...Not that I blame either of them, it looks so BORING, not that formula is much better..but still.

And that picture of him at the sleep study made me so sad, I bet that was miserable. I bet you're so glad it's done!!!!!!!!