Thursday, February 7, 2008

prayers please!!!

"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,' declares the Lord..." Jeremiah 30:17

Coy had his second eye exam yesterday and it didn't go quite the way I was expecting....
I thought Dr. Hittner was going to tell me his eyes were perfect and she was impressed; Instead she used the "S" word..."there is a chance he will need SURGERY next week..." Huh? I think I just stopped listening to the rest of her evaluation/recommendation...this hit me hard; I literally had a physical reaction to her words; I couldn't breathe, speak, think....I was so confused, his eyes are beautiful and perfect and he looks at me all the time...I couldn't comprehend they are "diseased..."

Dr. Hittner found stage 2/zone 2 ROP in both Coy's eyes; the disease is classified in 5 stages, o the best, 5 the worst & the eye is broken into 3 zones...so no, his eye disease is not "severe", but since his eyes worsened (he had NO disease last week...) so quickly, she is concerned...she will come next Monday to examine him again, if she doesn't like what she finds, he may go to surgery the same day to stop the progression on the ROP....please pray against this! Pray that Coy's eye disease will regress & healthy vessels will grow; pray the he will not need surgery!! If he has to have surgery, they will have to reintubate him due to the sedation....I am terrified of this...

So, yesterday was a bad day for me....I was physically, emotionally drained...I prayed for God to just give Chris and I the strength and endurance to continue this battle with Coy...I prayed for God to take all my anxiety away regarding Coy & the possiblity of surgery...

and, Today was a much better day! Coy and I cuddled all afternoon! I fall more and more in love with him everyday...I just love holding him as he sleeps in my arms; I could just sit there forever and ever and watch him dream...

He continues to tolerate his feeds well; they were increased to 24cc!! We did have on little scare yesterday evening; he had some emesis (vomit) and his nurse said his stomach looked "loopy"; meaning the outline of his intestines were visible through his abdomen...of course, I panicked...this is indicator of NEC, the horrible GI disease that takes the life of many preemies...his nurse called to doctor who came to take a look; she said everything was okay & they would just watch it closely...I was relieved to know that they just suspected it to be air in his belly and everything was okay today...but still, I was just starting to comprehend the eye disease stuff when all this came about....

Please pray against ROP! Pray for God to heal Coy's eyes, that his vessels will grow just healthy and his vision will be perfect! Pray for Coy to continue to tolerate all his feedings and grow strong (he is now 2 lb 14 oz...)! Pray for urine output to remain adequate! Pray for his oxygen requirement to decrease daily (it is now in the 20-30% range!!!).....

We thank you sincerely for your prayers, care, & concern!

16 comments:

Reyne said...

You and Coy are constantly on my mind and in my prayers. He is a fighter and I believe God will take him through this like He has every other battle. Hold onto your faith and eachother. There are so many people praying - I believe God hears us and will protect your little guy!
Love and prayers,
Reyne

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers for sweet Coy and his family. You all are an inspiration!

John Sherrill said...

Sorry I haven't seen you guys in a while.
I am praying from a distance. I have been back at work, traveling, home playing mr. mom, etc,... but thinking of you often. I am praying for coy's eyes today. Hope to see you guys soon. Let's do dinner again!

John Sherrill

Amanda Ogletree said...

I learned about Coy from John & Kelly Sherrill. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for God's complete and total healing and protection for Coy as well as for Kyle. I check daily to see how the boys are both doing and am thrilled to know that God is working so mightily in them both! I will be praying for Coy's eyes as well as for him to stay infection free! God bless you all!
Amanda Ogletree, Morristown, TN

Anonymous said...

Psalm 34:15

15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry;

Lord,
I lift up precious Coy to you at this hour. We ask in your Holy Name that you heal his eyes and help them develop how you created them to. I pray that you would use this situation to bring Glory to your name and confidence in your power to his parents who love him and You so very much. Father, find favor on this family and bring healing to their little one. Thank you that you never leave us or forsake us. In your name, Amen

Anonymous said...

The healing power of God is within Coy!

Anonymous said...

Prayers for ya'll and Coy! God has already done so many miracles for him and will not leave him.

Amanda said...

Praying, praying, praying! Asking God to flood you with peace.

Ann Glowacki said...

Ann Marie and Chris,

I'm sorry to hear about Coy's eye exam... I hope and pray for good news next week from Dr. Hittner! I can't imagine hearing the "s" word either... especially after a good report last week.

Coy is so precious and I'm so happy you get to cuddle with him every day! It's amazing he's almost up to an ounce for every feed... and his O2 requirement keeps getting lower...great job Coy!

We will continue to say lots of prayers for baby Coy's eyes to heal and for mom and dad to hang in there too!

Love, Ann, Shawn, and Jaxson

Jenny said...

I can't quite imagine how you are feeling but as a mom I can imagine! I will be praying for you all this weekend.

There is a song by Rita Springer (I think) that says something like "It's going to be worth it" that rang through my head as I read your post. I'll try to look up the song and post the title just in case you haven't heard it.

Jenny

Steph V said...

We are praying so hard for you three. I can only imagine how upset you must have been yesterday. I am praying for y'alls strength and that God overcomes both you and Chris with such peace.

Muggle Mom said...

prayers will continue!

Esperanza said...

Everytime I put Liam in bed, I pray for God to protect Liam and to help baby Coy to be stronger and feeling better every day... for his feedings to be incresed and be tolerated it.. for his urine input and now for his eyes... God knows that we are praying girl just hang in there... Your family needs you... Keep being strong and wise... keep your faith... faith will sent us free... Believe...just put your worries in God's hands and enjoy every day with Coy... Remember that even with healthy babys, we as mothers, just need to enjoy every day that God gives us with our babies... and you are already doing that... so be happy with your little peanut and keep your faith... remember ... you will count with our prayers daily...
My family sent you a big and strong hug...
Esperanza Orlando & Liam Penaloza

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Hi, my name is Heather Marino, I'm Vicky's sister-in-law. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers always. I have walked in your shoes! I had Payton at 28 weeks gestation and reading your blog brings back so many memories of what we went through with Payton! Every day was a rollercoaster and some days you just wanted to get off the ride. Every morning when I got to the hospital I went through the same kinds of feelings that you are having.

I only have one child, I thought I wanted more, but instead I have devoted my life to making Payton the center of my universe. He is so special, truly a MIRICLE!!

All parents think their children are special, but I'm not sure if they truly appreciate them, unless you have gone through what we have. Every day with them is such a gift!!!

If you ever want to contact me, you can get my number from Vicky.

Love,
Heather

Beth said...

Continued prayers for your sweet little man. Praying especially that the exam on Monday goes well and that he will not need surgery. Praying God bless and keep all of you.