Monday, February 18, 2008

NASAL CANNULA!

"The Lord will keep you from all harm, He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." Psalm 121: 7-8

I was pleasantly surprised today when I arrived at the hospital...Coy was changed to nasal cannula this morning!! I thought it would be coming later this week, but his nurses, nurse practitioner, and doctor all thought he was ready today. So, here is a pic of him on nasal cannula... (the tape on his face is to hold the OG feeding tube in place...)


So, he no longer has the pressure support to keep his air sacs open and is just receiving oxygen from the cannula. Sometimes babies require more oxygen with this change over, but today Coy was on 21-28% all day! He is doing quite exceptionally and is such a strong little warrior!! Please pray for Coy to stay strong & breathe efficiently on the cannula!

When I arrived today, he was swaddled up so perfectly, sleeping on his tummy. He has a new trick he learned that he showed me several times today....he picks his head up and turns it!! I couldn't believe it when I saw him do this; it's so funny to see him arrange himself like he wants, then falls back asleep! He is a really strong 3lb'er!

His feedings are still 27 cc every 3 hours and he's been tolerating all of them...his blood oxygen level does drop slightly when he's eating--mostly due to the fact that he's working harder eating and has to think about eating & breathing! (a concept that comes natural to most of us--Coy needs to learn it...) Please pray for Coy to saturate wonderfully and breathe easy when eating!! If Coy stays on the nasal cannula (doesn't go back to CPAP, which sometimes happens...) then we can try bottle feeding/ breastfeeding in a week or two! This will be a huge hurdle for him to make---please pray for Coy to be able to "suck, swallow, and breathe" when he is able to bottle feed!

He will have another eye exam on Wednesday...please pray for his eyes to be free of disease!

Thanks to all for your continued prayers! I am in awe and amazement at how awesome our God is! To see Coy daily and to witness the miracle that he is just leaves me speechless in prayer. I usually just repeat "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...." over and over again...

18 comments:

Ann Glowacki said...

Ann Marie and Chris,

Congratulations on Coy's wonderful progress! I am soooo happy for all of you! I can't wait for you to be able to feed him by bottle or breast... it is wonderful!!! He is such a cutie, you are so blessed! We continue to pray for you and are sending lots of hugs! Keep up the great work Coy!

Love,

Ann, Shawn, and Jaxson

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. Coy is such a strong, little man. He is adorable. I will continue to send prayers your way.

~m

Anonymous said...

God is soooo good!

Juliette said...

Wow! Wonderful news today. Congratulations to you all. Coy is an amazing little fighter, and he has some awesome parents too. Thank you so much for sharing and keeping this blog updated. I check on Coy at least once a day. Praises to God for He is mighty and wonderful. His love endures forever.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Tears are just flowing down my face this morning while reading how baby Coy continues to amaze me!!!! God is so good! Congratulations on all of his progress....we will keep praying hard!
Love to you three,
Ashley (Hayes) Farrell

Esperanza said...

Oh dear God... God may be blessed always...
Ann Marie... You have no idea how happy you made us today... amazing... your little peanut is a true warrior... my class prayed yesterday a lot for him... I have 21 students that already love and care for Coy... We all pray girl... hang in there... prayers are always on Coys way... prayers for him to continue to improve but also prayers thanking God for his kindness. Girl hang in there... soon february will be over and your sweet pie will be there with you guys on his castle... your beautiful home... with his 2 little sisters.... Big hug...
Esperanza Orlando & Liam Penaloza

Anonymous said...

That is SUCH absolutely GREAT news!!!!! WOW! If he's so smart to know how to move his head to get comfortable, he'll be able to figure out how to eat, swallow and breathe! Coy is such an amazing baby! And ya'll are such incredible parents, and God has very much Blessed you and Coy. Praise Him!

Anonymous said...

Terrific news about Coy. He is really on the straight road now, hopefully from now on it will be just all things good.

Amanda said...

Yeah! What great news! I loved getting to see you and Chris and hug your necks on Saturday. Y'all are so precious. And your boy is just awesome!

Melissa M. Williams said...

What awesome words to read this morning!!!! I didn't realize until this morning how attached I have gotten to your baby boy. Just to read your words, "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you," I totally lost it! I think for a brief millisecond, God was trying to share with me some miraculous feeling that must be going through you. Thank you for sharing with us everyday. You may never realize the strength of your impact on everyone. This is truly what love is, God is love.
Have a great day with Coy!
Melissa Williams

Anonymous said...

That is great news about Coy! I will continue to pray!

Orlagh

Anonymous said...

I cried tears of joy for you today when reading this. As a mother, I can feel your pride at his new trick - the first of many :) Many prayers for continued healing and strength.

Anonymous said...

"My Jesus, My Savior, LORD there is none like you. All of my days I want to praise the wonders of your mighty
love......SHOUT to the LORD all the earth let us sing. Power and Majesty PRAISE to the KING"!!!!!!

gramscook said...

Ann Marie and Chris thank you for giving us the cutie pie. We can not wait to hold him. Coy has been such an inspiration to us. We have been living by faith and strength from the Lord.He is a little spiritual warrior. I want to thank everyone that has been praying for all of us.You all have been great for us and keep us grounded.Thanks and praise the Lord Jesus Christ. Mom

Anonymous said...

I am SO EXCITED to read the GREAT news about Coy today!!! I have tears of joy running down my face. He is so strong to be able to lift his head. He is probably more comfortable with just the cannula on. He is such a fighter and such a cute boy! I will pray for his eyes to be disease free, his heart to beat correctly, for him to be able to stay on the cannula and not have to go back to CPAP, and for him to be able to eat and breath at the same time. I pray for the day that you can take him home and he can sleep in his own room and I pray that it's soon! May God keep blessing your lives!
Continues Prayers

court garrison said...

Wow! He is getting SO big and beautiful. So many prayers and thoughts are covering your precious family.

Muggle Mom said...

what else can you say but "thank you?"

coy is an absolute miracle!!! prayers still coming!

nicole

John Sherrill said...

YAY COY!
We are so excited for you little man! Keep working hard! You are doing so good!

John, Kelly, Jadon, Jack and Kyle