Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thanks be to GOD!

"Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift." 2 Corinthians 9:15

When people ask me how I am doing these days, my response is usually "good..." The truth is, each day my mood starts the same, ANXIOUS! After our morning call to check on Coy, I usually settle down, thank GOD for another day, and try to get chores done around the house. His good days are AWESOME, his bad days are TERRIBLE. Let me tell you, this week has been AMAZING! Coy and I had the best time today! One of his favorite primary nurses (who loves him almost as much as me) swaddled him up and handed him to me like he was any other newborn! He slept in my arms for an hour before he woke up, he got a little fussy (and cried!) because he had a dirty diaper, he smiled at me a few times, he took his pacifier before his feeding...all the usual newborn stuff! My heart is still singing; to see my baby boy with his eyes wide open looking at me while he was swaddled in my arms; it was priceless. It was a dream come true today; I couldn't take my eyes off him; I studied every dimension and detail of his beautiful face; I talked with a baby voice and told him how much everyone loves him...he smiled. The entire time I was just thinking, "THANK YOU JESUS! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!" How do I get to be so lucky to spend 4 hours holding my beautiful baby who has and still is defying the odds?

So here we are, 8 WEEKS later!! Can you believe it? Coy is already 2 months old! Already time for his immunizations! Time is flying by....(yes, they get immunizied in the NICU...)
Coy is still CPAPin' it right along...even his nurse practioner & doctor (another new one...she'll be with us for the next month) said this morning, and I quote "We think he is looking very good..." What?? Did they really say that?! Okay, for most of you who don't know, THOSE WORDS ARE NOT USED IN THE NICU very often. If they're not telling you worst case senario, then usually they tell you statistics; or sometimes they don't have any statisitics because they simply do not know...and trust me that is not music to our ears...
So back to Coy, he has been doing amazingly well on CPAP. His oxygen requirement was down to 35% last night...today he was around 40-50%...he is a very smart boy and knows exactly how to get the prongs out of his nose...

He continues to urinate adequately and his kidney function has normalized...of course they are always watching this closely due to his history of renal issues...
Coy has 6 days remaining on antibiotics for the suspected then not suspected endocarditis...they will then pull his central line out after...Please please pray for Coy to stay free of infection after he's done with this course of anitbiotics!
Coy will have his first eye exam soon; please pray against a disease called ROP that affects many preemies; there is a world renowned eye surgeon at Memorial Hermann who will examine him; from what I hear, she is amazing and saves the vision of babies who would otherwise be blind...

Please continue to pray for complete and total healing of Coy! Pray for him to remain infection free, to digest/ tolerate all feedings, for a healthy heart, for no eye disease (ROP), for normal kidney function, for the strength of his lungs, for him to stay strong on CPAP, that we can wean the CPAP soon, that Coy is comfortable and content...

Thanks to all for the continued love and support. Chris and I are just amazed at the kindness and warmth of all of you. We have received cards and gifts from people all over the country; people we do not even know. We are so grateful...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter had Dr. Hitter, who is the doctor at Methodist. She is amazing; words can't even describe the way we(my family) feel about her. Lilly had ROP & Dr. Hitter performed her surgery & now Lilly has wonderful eye sight!! Such a blessing. We keep Coy in our thoughts & prayers; we know Lilly is here due to the POWER of PRAYER!!
Ambra
Lilly-28weeker

Anonymous said...

YEA! It sounds like Coy is doing so great! Thank you for posting the adorable pictures of your little guy. He is a cutie! I always love it when patients defy the doctors' statistics and gloom and doom!

God Bless ya'll!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Helen Hittner is the eye doctor Heather had with Dillon, who was premature and the VanDykes have many good things to say about her. They think she is wonderful!

Life in the Kerlee Household said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life in the Kerlee Household said...

After a stressful (past) few weeks, Coy seems to be getting stronger and stronger everyday! You're exactly right when you say they he is defying all odds and thanks to lots of answered prayers, God, and to all the NICU doctors and nurses...and of course his parents! Coy knows when you are then with him everyday and I'm a believer that preemies do better when they have their parents so involved! Take Care and Go Coy Go!!! We'll be praying against ROP and continue to pray for EVERYTHING we are already thankful for!

Ann Glowacki said...

Ann Marie,

I just love your description of spending time with Coy, it brought tears to my eyes. It brought back memories from my experience in the NICU. I too was anxious a lot of the time, and couldn't wait to get in to see my boy every day... I hope and pray that Coy continues to improve and beat the odds! He is amazing and has amazing parents!

Jaxson was seen by Dr. Mintz-Hittner too, I had no idea at the time that she is so famous, but everyone I've spoken with since raves about her (my pedi calls her "the general"... I guess she's no-nonsense). A good friend of mine (my age) was seen by her and had her do her eye surgery when she was a baby, so she has been around a while! Coy will be in great hands. Keep up the wonderful progress Coy!!!

Love, Ann, Shawn, and Jaxson

Jenny said...

I'm so excited for you! I will be praying for his eyes also. Hearing you describe holding him brings me back to my 3 girls being babies.

Have a great day!
Jen

chelsburleson said...

a daily ritual of mine is reading your blog. i am overjoyed at the good news and coy's outstanding improvement. yesterday's blog brought me to tears. you and chris have your faith and hope in the exact place they need to be...JESUS. keep rockin'your faith!!

in my prayers all day every day...chels

Steph V said...

WOW! I have been reading the last few weeks from my phone so it's been to hard to comment, but WOW!! What a wonderful week y'all have had! That little one is so precious that I don't even have words to describe it!! Praise Him for the last week, what a little miracle you hold!!! We will continue praying with all of our strength and can't wait to hear more good news!!

Oh, and how is it possible that he's already two months? Goodness. I didn't realize he was only a month younger that my MacKenzie.

Blessings,
Stephanie V

Muggle Mom said...

this boy has a mission, doesn't he? don't let coming into the world WAY too early stop him! his strength is amazing and inspiring (as well as you and Chris's).

nicole

Esperanza said...

We are know that Coy is a fighter...and yes, girl you have been blessed with such a wonderful gift... God really loves you...
We keep praying for Coy... everyday ... he is so precious...so handsome...
We are so happy to hear that he is doing so much better this last week... Happy birthday Coy... Good bless you sweet peanut...
Esperanza Orlando & Liam

Anonymous said...

I just wanted yout o no I am so excited about coy god has really hears all of are prayers. Icant wait to get home from work every day to check on coy. Your sister in christ Amanda

Anonymous said...

Please be encouraged that a network of people that you have never met constantly lift up your little boy in prayer. I work with a woman whose husband works with a man who knows Chris. I've never met you, but I am so blessed by reading your story each day and I am burdened (in the best sense of the word) to pray for Coy and your entire family. I am an occupational therapist and I have worked with premature infants in the past. I have seen them make amazing progress and defy all odds and statistics. I am praying that Coy does just that and that God is glorified by it. Thank you for your diligence in sharing your stories mixed with scripture and praise. May God bless you and keep you!