Wednesday, December 26, 2007

God hear our prayers

"O Lord,hear my prayer,
listen to my cry for mercy;
in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief.
Do not bring your servant into judgement,
for no one living is righteous before you.
The enemy purses me, he crushes me to the ground;
he makes me dwell in darkness like those long dead.
So my spirit grows faint within me;
my heart within me is dismayed.
I remember the days of long ago;
I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.
I spread out my hands to you;
my soul thirsts for you like a parched land
Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails.
Do not hide your face from me
or I will be like those who go down to the pit.
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Rescue me from the enemies, O Lord; for I hide myself in you.
Teach me to do your will, for you are my God;
may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
For your name's sake, O Lord, preserve my life;
in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble.
In your unfailing love, silence my enemies;
destroy all his foes, for I am your servant." Psalm 143


I read this verse tonight while sitting next to Coy's bedside and it just spoke to me...God please hear our prayers, let Coy have a good night, let us hear "good" news in the morning, please bring Coy out of pain, please rid the infection from his body...

First the bad news: 1) Coy's infection is still present, a blood culture did come back positive from 12/22 and 12/25--another antibiotic was started in addition to the Vancomycin, a renal u/s & Echo will be done, and Infectious disease doctors were consulted........PLEASE PRAY FOR COY TO FIGHT THIS INFECTION!! 2) Coy did not receive adequate nursing care today--actually I classify his care today as negligent--(he will not have this nurse back as we complained to management) 3) Due to his poor nursing care, Coy's ET tube came out (tube connected to his ventilator that allows him to breathe and receive oxygen) It was emergently placed back in by the wonderful transport nurses & nurse practitioners (who I am so thankful for!!) 4) Due to his poor nursing care today, one of his IVs that was not monitored closely infiltrated and burned his skin (these can be very severe where plastic surgery will be consulted) Coy did receive medication injected into his skin around the burn to lessen it--as of 9pm, it looked much better 5) Due to his poor nursing care, he is at increased risk for further infections as this nurse did not understand that you CHANGE your gloves when you have touched every object in the room then come back to do a procedure on a patient

let me say we have had AWESOME nursing care the past few weeks in the NICU, these nurses are amazing! What makes me mad is laziness and having no compassion--don't be a nurse, be something else where laziness wont kill someone

Okay, now that's over, here's the good news: 1) Coy began to urinate again 2) Coy has a WONDERFUL night nurse that takes care of him most nights 3) He was sleeping comfortably when we left him 4) They began giving him 1cc of breast milk every 3 hours which he tolerated 5) God is giving me grace and forgiveness of the day shift nurse and kept me from physically assaulting her today (Okay, so I'm not a confrontational person, but Yes, I was that mad!) 6) God has given us great support in the NICU from other parents---Thanks Kelly and John for listening to our frustrations; y'all are awesome!!

Thanks to all of you for continuing to pray for Coy; we are in desperate need of prayers continually; each day brings new mountains to climb; we are so lucky to have so much love and support....

11 comments:

Tina Murray said...

Ann Marie - I read your blog almost every day and wanted to tell you what a wonderful mother you are. I have two little babies girls and know the heart of a mother can be strong at times and weak at others. I'm amazed the amount of strength and love that you are giving sweet Coy in this very exhausting time in your lives. You inspire me to be a better mother, love my girls deeper, hold them longer and be even more thankful for the gifts God has given me. Our family is praying for you, Chris and Coy.
Warmly, The Murrays (your parent's neighbors)

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie -
As a nurse, I can imagine how frustrating it is to see someone who doens't take their job as seriously as they should. As a mother and a nurse, I applaud you for not assaulting the day shift nurse! Laziness has no place in the nursing profession, especially in areas that require constant vigilence to prevent many of the things that happened to your little guy today.
I love your blog and feel blessed that you share your families ongoing struggles and triumphs with all of us. Your faith strengthens me.
I will continue to pray for your sweet boy. May his infection subside. May he be pain free. May he continue to urinate like a pro. = ) God be with you and your sweet family.

Allison (Suzi's sister)

meredith said...

You don't know me. I saw your blog through my friends blog. Please know that I will keep Coy in my prayers.

Erin said...

I feel your pain in wanting to attack that bad nurse...welcome to mother-hood my friend! There will be MANY more moments when you want to scream out (or worse) on your child's behalf. I pray for you all constantly and I'm so thankful for the answered plrayers so far, your faith has been a real inspiration and you have helped me to appreciate everyday with Hunter so much more!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie -
You don't know me eiher. I am a friend of Patty and Isaac. I have been reading your blog almost every day and praying for you as I read it.
We have a new granddaughter who is 2 months old and feel the pain of your family.
Hang in there. We are sending you strength from our family and praying for God to answer the specific prayers needed for baby Coy to grow and overcome these obstacles.
Sandy

Muggle Mom said...

Prayers will continue for you, Coy and Chris. I have my whole community praying for you guys as well. I'm not sure if you guys are still in the Houston area or not, but if you are, I would love to help out with meals, or whatever. Feel free to drop me an email!

mugglemom78@cebridge.net


Nicole Vincent (Suzi's Sister)

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for your little one too. Thank you for giving us a glimpse in your lives and the chance to share in your life through prayer!

Jenny

August said...

Ree,
I have been praying for strength for Coy, Chris and you. I agree that God presents situations like this to bring us closer to him. I know that if Coy is half as strong as his mom then he will push through this! You have always been an inspiration to all. Stay strong and I will continue to pray for you guys. Love you!
August

Lynne Piper said...

Hi Ann Marie and Chris:

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to post most everyday. I check your website several times a day so that I can continue to talk to God about healing that tiny, but strong body.

With regard to the nurse, I'm so sorry that you all had that experience. I definitely heard the "Mama Bear" come out in you which all of us Moms can relate to. We will pray for nothing but kind, loving, skilled hands to be in charge of Coy's care from now until he is released from the hospital.

Dear God:

Father, we thank you for bringing us this far with Coy. There are so many victories, yet still so many concerns remain. Father, You know what we need before we even ask. We know that You are well-aware of Coy's infection, dear Lord, and we boldly ask that You heal it today, Father.

Lord, Ann Marie and Chris have shown incredible faith through this difficult trial. You must be saying, "Well done, my child" that in the face of fear, doubt and anguish, they are leaning on You for their every breath. They are calling out to You and You alone in their time of need. Father, I ask that You reward them for putting their trust solely in You. Please, Lord, I implore you to heal that young boy from anything and everything that poses a health threat. Let him get his tiny feet on firm ground and let every breath and every day bring health and recovery, progress and development.

Thank you for hearing our prayer.

Amen

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie and Chris,
Your son is beautiful. We are amazed each day at how positive you remain. We have been praying for your family and will continue each day. From watching our own niece fight this same battle, we know that God prevails! Coy has such an exciting life ahead of him!
In Him, Casey and Kim Fox

Anonymous said...

Ann Marie and Chris -

Thank you so much for keeping us informed about Coy. We missed you at the Schulte Christmas but understand fully. You need ALL your strength right now for Coy and yourselves. The family prayed for y'all and look forward to seeing a little boy romping around next Christmas.

Kayleigh (a premie in Virginia) came home a couple of days ago, at 40 weeks. Her grandmother, Teri, is a friend of mine and I followed Kayleigh's progress on an almost daily basis for the past few months. Teri told me today that she reads your blog every day and is keeping up with Coy and FULLY UNDERSTANDS what you are going through. I wanted you know that.. A stranger....sends her love and is praying for you.

Love,
Aunt Mary