Wednesday, October 8, 2008

fall fun!

We are loving the 'fall' weather we've had here in Houston for the past few days! It usually goes from extra hot and muggy to hot to sorta cool to cold then back to hot. We've taken full advantage of our week long 'fall' season and have been enjoying the outdoors (today was a high of 85 with a nice breeze....Houstonians say, "wow, a cool front must have blown in!" =)

Since it is currently RSV season, that means we have to be diligent at keeping Coy well. We've been instructed by his doctors to stay away from crowds, public places, sorta sick people, sick people, people who've been around sick people, and kids/babies who get sick easily (okay, I'm being sarcastic...they said stay away from people, period!). I've been dreading October for months now because I can't imagine staying in "hibernation" until March. I guess I could take up knitting or something, but that most likely wont happen! I'm happy to say that we've found things to do (out of the house) and we were still able to stay away from crowds. We've enjoyed some nice long walks in our neighborhood and today even ventured to the Zoo! However, I am no longer bringing him to the grocery store (i don't go there much anyway =)) nor Target (my favorite). Coy did get his first Synagis vaccine on Friday which is to help "reduce the severity" of RSV if he does indeed contract it. The vaccine by no means 'prevents' the virus, therefore, we do have to be extra careful with him for the next 5-6 months. He will receive one vaccine per month through March. For one shot, it cost upwards of $1500 and is weight based. Insane! Thank goodness our insurance approved it and are paying in full!

It's amazing to me how much Coy is changing day to day. He's the sweetest thing on the planet and I love him to pieces. He is becoming so active and energetic and it's hard to keep up with him. He's not crawling yet, but keeps rocking on his hands and knees. Chris went from crawling to running at 9 months and by 1 year old had broken a window by swinging a baseball bat....I think I'm in trouble! =)

We are appointment free this week which is really nice. Please continue to pray for Coy's ongoing development and wellness! We are so eternally grateful.

Some recent pictures....

Game day!
reading a magazine...
"what? the Texans lost again?"



at the Zoo!
he scares me!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

We were at the zoo today too!
(You don't know me, I found your blog through Kyle's and I am the mom of a former 26 weeker)

amy said...

How in the world can Coy be cuter every day??!! I got the RSV "talk" from the hospital-- so I, too, will be in hibernation for a while! Worth it to keep the girls well though. Reese also got her Synagis shot 2 days ago... which is one more thing on the "discharge" check list-- yea!!! Riley will be next... :)

Anonymous said...

Coy is so adorable! Since you can't go out as much, you'll just have to update your blog more often. :)

Shane & Ambra said...

Coy is getting so big- such a big boy sitting up by himself!! We went thru 2 yrs of synagis- it was heartbreaking to see Lilly get a shot every month. She is 2.5yr now & this is the first year she didn't qualify(she has chronic lung disease). We are very estatic, but nervous at the same time?! No matter how much you shelter them, the bug always seems to sneek in; either from siblings, you or dad. Enjoy the nice weather, we can't get enough of it(bike riding, walks, parks...)YAY!

Unknown said...

My baby, not a preemie, got RSV at 4 months and it was HORRIBLE. He ended up being hospitalized. It is worth it to sacrafice whatever you have to to avoid this sickness!

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness RSV.... well, I can say that I know how you feel about the hibernation!!! We did that with AJ for a few years. Coy is getting so big!!! He is just adorable!!!!