Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fun in Florida!

We were blessed to spend 4 days in beautiful Destin, FL relaxing and having fun! The drive was long, but not terrible. Coy slept some and didn't get upset until the last few hours. We were aware of Tropical Storm Fay that was supposedly hitting the Florida panhandle, however, we saw little, if none of it's wrath. It did rain off and on for two of the days, however, nothing severe or tropical storm-like. I know some of you were probably thinking, "Geez, they wont bring him to the store, but they'll bring him into a Tropical storm?" Haha.

Coy was indifferent to the beach. He didn't seem to love it, however, didn't mind it either. He took naps under the large umbrella we had set up for him. Of course, I lathered him with sunscreen and kept him covered with a hat and sunglasses while he was in the sun (which was not long, mostly to take pictures).

While Florida was a nice getaway, it was nice to return home as well. Coy slept through Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi, before waking up during a stop in Covington, LA. He was quite tired from all the fun! We arrived home Tuesday night and have been unpacking ever since!

On the way to Florida, I received a call from Coy's pulmonologist in regards to his sleep study results. They were not as expected and quite upsetting to Chris & I. She said that he had 8 apnec episodes per hour (all while off 02) and that she must restart him on 1/16 L while he sleeps at night. I was really shocked at this news because I do monitor him at night with a pulse ox and it hardly ever alarms that he's desating. She is also referring us to a Neurologist, which is really the upsetting part to me. She said his apnec episodes were caused from immaturity of his brain which needs to be evaluated further by a Neurologist. She also said she thinks this is just part of him being premature and that as he matures, so will this part of his brain. So, pray for Coy and total healing of any abnormality in his lungs/brain. I was crushed thinking I had been starving my boy of oxygen for the past few months. I immediately began to panic because I did put so much trust into our pulse ox machine, however, I had no and still have no reason to believe it's reading inaccurately (he plays all day long, eats great, sleeps good, and is growing like a weed at 15 lbs)! The plan of care going forward is to meet with the Neurologist (first available appt is Oct 22nd) and repeat a sleep study at that time. In the mean time, I will fight tooth and nail to keep the O2 in his nose at night. Trust me when I say, it's much easier said than done!

Here are lots of pictures (as promised) from Florida....

The view from our condo..

family photo at the beach...
with daddy's sunglasses on...
smiling at Grandma Kolkhorst..



First time in the sand...

sleeping sweetly under his umbrella...

prop sitting!






having fun at the pool...

having a great time with a bag...
staying dry through a rainstorm...
playing with Aunt Mandy...


Coy playing with Grandpa Kolkhorst...
in the water!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pix as usual! Glad to see y'all got to take a family vacation. I LOVE Destin, but haven't been in a few years---been going to the mountains in Colorado instead. But I'm ready for a nice relaxing beach trip next summer. Sorry to hear about the disappointing news on the sleep study. I will certainly keep Coy and all of you in my prayers. I have faith that God will continue to give Coy total healing as He has done so far.

With love and prayers, Vicki

Anonymous said...

I am so glad te rain did not bother you guys!!! It looks like ya'll had a lot of fun!!! We will continue to pray for Coy's full and complete healing, and peace for you and Chris to know that God will heal your precious little one!! I can not believe he is so big, and he is such a happy little man too!! I absolutly love the faces he makes, they crack me up!
Lots of love,
Tha Silva's

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. I love Destin, we have always had a great time there. Prayers for little Coy, I hope the Neurologist will have some great answers for you and your family. My little ones were born 9 weeks early and it took several months for my DD to get over the apnea episodes. We finally able to get rid of the monitor at 9 months.
I will definately continue to pray for everything to continue on a up beat path. You are doing a wonderful job with your little guy. He definately looks like he is a happy little one.

Lynne Piper said...

Hi Ann Marie:

So glad you faithfully update your blog. I check it all the time, but don't post that often. Your Mom and Dad were here last night for bible study.

We will pray for Coy. I know he will be just fine. He is so happy and healthy. It is hard to hear anything wrong, especially for all you've been through. When you stop and think about all that God has done for Coy, it gives me complete confidence that He will continue to heal anything that needs to be healed.

Blessings,

Lynne Piper

Steph V said...

I am so glad y'all had fun! What precious pictures! He's changing sooo much!!!

I am sorry y'all didn't get the results you were hoping for. I'll continue to pray for all of you!!!

We missed you at dinner Tuesday night and hope to see you soon.

The Van Fam

Amanda said...

It looks like y'all had a great time! I will keep praying for that sweet Coy.

Muggle Mom said...

does that boy look like his daddy or what? lol! he is so cute and chubby! love it!

August said...

Hey!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures of your trip! You are such a hot mama on the beach! ha! The pics were so cute!

I will continue to keep Coy in my thoughts and prayers!

Love you!

Reyne said...

What adorable pictures! Looks like you all enjoyed the trip. Coy has grown so much - he's definitely his daddy's son! I look forward to your posts - keep the updates and pictures coming. I will continue to pray for you all. God has worked such miracles in Coy!
Love,
Reyne

John and Kelly said...

What great pictures and you look like a super-model! I'm glad you guys had a great time! Can't wait to get together again!

Kelly

Coolestmommy said...

Looks like a fantastic time!

Melissa M. Williams said...

Coy definitely looked like he was enjoying this vacation get away! Thanks for showing us the great pics!